Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I learned something I never knew....


Wanted to share part of the eulogy that my father wrote about my grandfather (Daddy-pa) This was something I never knew, and I am glad my father shared this with me... It really shows a lot about what kind of person my grandfather was...This past Saturday was his service...


"Dad fought in the Korean War.  While I was growing up I understood that he had ahead a tough time there and so never raised the subject.  But a couple of years ago, I decided it was time for me to know the truth of his involvement there.  I asked Dad what happened and found him surprisingly forthcoming.  I asked why he had never volunteered the information before and he replied that he didn’t know anyone was interested.  I assured him I was and what he shared with me was incredible.  Dad was a member of the US Army’s 2nd Engineer Battalion of the 2nd Infantry Division.  Dad fought in a particularly bloody engagement known as the battle of Kunu-Ri.  The 60th anniversary issue of VFW magazine which came out this summer, ranked the 40 deadliest engagements of the Korean War.  The battle of Kunu-Ri was number 2.  What had happened was that 5 divisions of Red Chinese regulars had attacked the northernmost US Army position.  Dad’s unit found itself fighting a rear guard action against the incursion.  This meant that Dad’s unit became the front line of a struggle to delay the Chinese advance while the rest of the 2ID attempted to retreat. Dad’s unit was eventually overrun and he found himself miles behind enemy lines in brutal minus-20 degree weather, difficult terrain and amongst thousands of Chinese whose job was to kill him.  I have since read several books on this battle and still find it difficult to grasp the demands placed on Dad and the extraordinary endurance required from him to return safely."

I had wrote some things about my Daddy-pa in the last few weeks, it wasn't anything fancy, it simply stated the things I would miss about him. I debated whether I would talk at the service or not.  I have never been the best public speaker (Anyone remember me in my one and only beauty pageant?) If you did, it was probably because I made the biggest fool of myself and how do you forget something like that, haha. Well anyways, the day of the service I was still undecided. I had never spoke at a service, and I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it well, but at the last minute I decided I would. I simply shared the little things I would miss about my Daddy-pa, and I am glad I made myself get up there....it was a very difficult thing for me to do, to make myself get in front of a crowd of people, I have always really not liked public speaking, (speaking yes) but not to big crowds. I got up there, and I shared who my Daddy-pa was to me....and I have no doubt my Daddy-pa himself helped give me the courage I needed...

No comments:

Post a Comment