Saturday, June 5, 2010

Things I am grateful for

On Thursday, I worked down in Norfolk  for the day. They were having a homecoming , and the company I work for, Lincoln Military Housing is generally always there to help. They hand out flags, pom-poms, and other things as well. The families really love things like this. Being that I work more north, than South I had never got the opportunity to attend/work at a homecoming until yesterday. I am really glad that I volunteered to go. I met a very nice co-worker that used to work in Annapolis, but now works in VA Beach. It was really great to see the families and how they were anticipating the arrival of their loved ones....and of course you have the fathers, that are getting to see their newborns for the first time. Thursday was a big day of reflection for me. I thought about a whole lot, while being there, and then on the 3 hour ride back home as well....

It really made me appreciate how good I have things, and how grateful I am for the relationships I have in my life.  Also, I realized I am really lucky in many aspects of my life.  For the most part, I get to see Scott on a daily basis. I am really lucky that I have that privilege.  The girl I was with for the day, has a husband that is deployed as well. Part of her job is to attend many of these homecomings. I imagine it could get pretty difficult, going to one/two of these a month, and knowing you still had to wait longer for "YOUR" husband's homecoming which hasn't arrived yet. I am pretty lucky for a lot of things.....

*I am grateful I have a job that lets me be a part of events like these, and for someone who LOVES to talk, it really is the perfect job for me to have. I love it.
*I am grateful for my family and the relationship we have with one another. They are always there for me. They have been helping me tons with the upcoming wedding, probably more than they probably should, and I am grateful they are always there for me when I need them. My mom just finished a trip up here, she came up to throw a bridal shower for me, with my sister's assistance. They did a great job, and put a lot of hard work into it. I am grateful that I have a relationship with my whole family, and I have them there with me to share my every day life.  Some people have lost their loved ones, or don't have them in their life anymore, and I realized never to take  anything for granted, I have a really blessed life and need to life every day remembering that.
*I am grateful that I am about to get married to a wonderful guy! He treats me wonderful, and look forward to our future. We have also been blessed to be able to purchase our first home (Again, with wonderful parents giving us a great deal on our new home) and that is something great. At this point in my life, I certainly  thought I wouldn't have been able to purchase a home.
*I am grateful to have people in my life that help to guide me in the right direction. Sometimes I have a difficult time making my mind up about things, I always know that there is someone I can go to that knows exactly what I am thinking, and what to say, and "what direction" to push me in! :)
*I am grateful to have my health, and to be able to do a lot of things that many people can take for granted on a daily basis. One of my bridesmaids, her husband recently did something and it inspired me. He donated bone marrow. This is something that can be pretty painful, but it is also something, that would be a true blessing to give to someone else.  I think I would want to be able to do something like that myself, and it would be a great thing to do, not only for myself, but for someone who really needed the assistance. I also am grateful that I have my health to do daily activities, simple things like "walking" that some people need assistance with. I want to try to find some location in King George where I can volunteer my time to help those in need, possibly elderly individuals still living at home. Simple things for me, like "checking the mail" that can be really hard for someone that needs the assistance, would be a great thing to do for people. I really would love to go to homes, and try to help, even if it's just an hour of a day. 

Anyways, just wanted to express my feelings for the day. Here recently, I have been reflecting a lot more on things....and really don't want to take ANYTHING forgranted.  

Have a great weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment